Working in healthcare is stressful. Those who work in healthcare professions have increased risks of stress, burnout, and mental health challenges. All of these can impact a healthcare provider’s quality of life. They may even result in depression, anxiety disorders, trouble sleeping, and other adverse health consequences.
When a healthcare provider struggles with burnout, it can negatively impact patient care and result in medical errors.
Break the Stigma
Unfortunately, many healthcare providers feel stigma around seeking help for mental wellbeing. As a healthcare provider, you must advocate for yourself and seek help. Checking in on your mental health is a win-win. When you take care of yourself, you can provide the best possible care for your patients.
Practical Tips for Mental Wellness
Here are five tips you can put into practice today to optimize your mental health:
- Eat Healthily. Do long shifts have you reaching for that quick snack? Nutrition and mental health are linked. So before grabbing fast foods or treats, focus on filling up with fruits, veggies, proteins, and other healthy foods.
- Enjoy a Hobby. Schedule time to color, paint, write, or enjoy whatever creative hobbies interest you. Creative outlets can help redirect your brain and give you something to look forward to.
- Exercise. Exercise is a great way to help depression and anxiety. The endorphin boost from exercise can help you feel good, and exercise itself can be a great way to take your mind off anything bothering you.
- Reduce Caffeine. While caffeine can give you a much-needed energy boost, it can also worsen anxiety. So try cutting back if you notice yourself constantly caffeinating.
- Give Meditation a Try. Meditation can be a great tool to cope with stress and improve mental wellness.
Note: While these are a few tips you can try to help boost your mental wellness, they are no substitute for professional help. If you find yourself struggling, seek out resources through a counselor, therapist, or healthcare provider for support.
Try Contract Staffing for a Change of Pace
If you need a change of scenery, consider a contract healthcare staffing assignment. Contract staffing is often at a higher pay rate and allows you to experience working in diverse healthcare organizations. In addition, if adventure is what you’re after, you may be able to find an assignment in a different part of the country.
365 Healthcare Staffing Services staff nationwide contracts and can help you find the best contract positions for you. This national staffing group is available 24/7 for assistance, and they work hard to understand your needs. If this sounds like a great fit, browse open positions or reach out to us today and start your next adventure!